Moving to Europe and a Brief Overview

04 November 2010

We have been in Europe for 2 months now and I told myself that I would write a blog to update our families and friends on our life here.  So, finally, I am doing just that.*   Hi Family.  Hi Friends!

In case anyone reading this doesn't know or doesn't remember, we moved to SwitzerFrancerLand for D's work at CERN.
Why SwitzerFrancerLand? 

As you can see from this map** Geneva (in the lower left) is completely surrounded by France.  We actually live 16 km away from Geneva, in Crozet, France.  This means that we have to carry both Euros (France) and Francs (Switzerland).  We also have to remember the different operating hours of each country. 

So, what have we been up to in the last few months?  (Or an overview of what this blog will cover - learning to write in law school has taught me that one must always give one's audience an overview of what they will read in the next pages.) 

 1. We packed up what we thought we needed for a year and tried to fit that in baggage that was in accordance with FAA and Swiss Air Standards.

2.  We moved to 'The Chalet' in Gex which is the house that Dave's experiment generously rents out to provide their students with temporary housing.  

3.  We went on "The Great Apartment Hunt of 2010"

4.  We visited the Burgundy Wine Region in France with good friends and drank too much wine. 

5. We went to a Cow Festival

6. We visited the Tuscany Wine Region with good friends, had our car break down, had a purse stolen, and still had an amazing time. 

7.  We have learned just how different Europe is from the States (this might be a series in this blog)

8.  I'm learning to cook French food!

So there you have it.  I hope you like reading it.  Although, even if you don't I'm still going to write about how awesome it is to be here.  Enjoy!


* It took me this long to actually write a blog because I have been obsessively reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series (again).  The series is 7 books, roughly 3,712 pages in two months.  Law school definitely taught me to read quickly. It's amazing - go borrow/buy the series - you won't be sorry, but your eyes may hurt and your significant other may get annoyed at the Dark Tower references you incorporate into everyday life. 

** Image from www.solarnavigator.net 

***I never realized I needed reference numbers in writing! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment